On February 15, 2021, forecasted blowing snow and whiteout conditions will cause Decatur County roads to become treacherous and impassable. County Highway officials may have to discontinue plowing secondary roads and be only working on primary routes until winds subside.
STATE OF EMERGENCY DECLARED BY COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
Effective as of 4:00 pm on February 15, 2021 the Decatur County Board of Commissioners has declared a local State of Emergency for the entire county. Emergency travel only.
All citizens are called upon to comply with necessary emergency measures:
- Do not attempt to drive in blizzard or whiteout conditions unless it is an absolute emergency
- Law Enforcement officials are authorized to ticket unnecessary travelers
- Due to treacherous weather conditions, travelers who become stranded may not receive immediate assistance
- Do not call 911 unless it is to report a life threatening emergency.
- Power outages should be reported to your local service provider, please do not attempt to call 911 for this purpose unless you require life sustaining medical equipment that requires electric power.
Volunteers who wish to offer assistance such as snowmobiles, 4-wheel drive vehicles or Hummers should contact the Decatur County Emergency Operations Center at: 812-663-2004
Please stay tuned to your local emergency broadcast station and social media for further weather and public emergency information.