ICJI grants awarded

$3 million in grants awarded to combat violence against women

INDIANAPOLIS — The Indiana Criminal Justice Institute (ICJI) awarded nearly $3 million to 51 public and nonprofit organizations through the STOP Violence Against Women Formula Grant Program. “STOP” stands for services, training, officers and prosecutors.

The program is designed to support communities in their efforts to develop and strengthen law enforcement and prosecution strategies to combat violence against women, as well as enhance victim services and safety.

“This funding is about making sure that more communities have access to the resources they need to prevent victimization and bring violent offenders to justice,” said Devon McDonald, ICJI Executive Director. “It’s important that we do everything we can to help break the cycle of violence and shore up support for victims.”

Established by the Violence Against Women Act of 1994, the STOP Violence Against Women Formula Grant Program promotes a coordinated effort to improve the criminal justice system’s response to domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking. The funds are provided by the Office on Violence Against Women under the U.S. Department of Justice.

This year, the grants will be used to provide legal advocacy, counseling, training for law enforcement and court personnel, and victim support services. Funding will also help pay for special prosecutors and investigators who are dedicated to handling cases involving crimes against women.

“For most victims, obtaining a protective order or pursuing legal action is uncharted territory, but we don’t want that to be a barrier to seeking safety or justice,” said Kim Lambert, ICJI Victim Services Director. “There are resources and advocates who can help that will stand with and alongside victims throughout the process. This funding expands those efforts.”

The grants were approved by the ICJI Board of Trustees in September and made available to organizations starting this month. As a formula grant, funding was distributed based on a predetermined amount, with a majority (96%) going to law enforcement, prosecution and victim service programs. The remaining 4% was allocated for court programs.

The following is a list of the STOP Violence Against Women Formula Grant Program award recipients. For a PDF version, click here or visit: on.in.gov/STOPgrant.

CountyOrganizationAward Amount
AllenFort Wayne Police Department$126,176
AllenAllen County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office$64,161
AllenYWCA Northeast Indiana$45,154
AllenCenter for Nonviolence, Inc.$27,429
BartholomewBartholomew County Prosecutor’s Office$56,563
BartholomewColumbus Regional Shelter for Victims of Domestic Violence, Inc.$47,919
BooneBoone County Prosecutor’s Office$23,796
BrownBrown County Prosecutor’s Office$28,159
CassCass County Prosecutor’s Office$16,841
ClarkClark County Sheriff’s Office$39,565
ClarkClark County Prosecutor’s Office$23,364
ClintonClinton County Prosecutor’s Office$16,500
DeKalbDeKalb County Prosecutor’s Office$30,000
DelawareDelaware County Prosecuting Attorney$141,526
DelawareMuncie Police Department$29,260
DelawareA Better Way Services, Inc.$22,897
ElkhartElkhart County Prosecutor’s Office$29,203
FayetteFayette County Prosecutor’s Office$16,992
FranklinFranklin County Prosecutor’s Office$24,898
GrantGrant County Prosecutor’s Office$34,590
HancockHancock County Prosecutor’s Office$63,838
HendricksHendricks County Prosecutor’s Office$52,560
HowardHoward County Prosecutor’s Office$45,601
JohnsonJohnson County Prosecutor Office$45,170
LakeLake County Prosecutor’s Office$98,933
LakeHobart Police Department$83,708
LakeFair Haven Inc.$83,355
MadisonMadison County Prosecutor’s Office$95,469
MarionIndiana Coalition to End Sexual Assault, Inc.$140,185
MarionLatino Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence, Inc.$88,241
MarionIndiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence$84,829
MarionMarion County Prosecutor’s Office$70,204
MarionMarion County Sheriff’s Department$46,666
MonroeMonroe County Prosecutor’s Office$102,873
MorganMorgan County Prosecutor’s Office$20,655
NobleNoble County Prosecutor’s Office$25,149
PorterPorter County Prosecutor’s Office$54,295
PutnamPutnam County Prosecutor’s Office$20,028
RipleyRipley County Prosecutor’s Office$81,619
RushRush County Prosecutor’s Office$42,536
ScottScott County Sheriff’s Department$76,582
ScottScott County Prosecutor’s Office$40,043
ShelbyShelby County Prosecutor, 16th Judicial Circuit$94,219
SteubenSteuben County Prosecutor’s Office$25,200
St. JosephSt. Joseph County Prosecutor’s Office$171,286
TippecanoeYWCA Greater Lafayette$29,788
VanderburghVanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office$70,547
VanderburghVanderburgh County Prosecutor’s Office$40,309
VanderburghAlbion Fellows Bacon Center, Inc.$39,016
VermillionVermillion County Prosecutor’s Office$67,974
StatewideSupreme Court$125,571

Post Ad 2